Objective information is critical for the UK’s television and advertising industry. Each year, £7.5 billion is spent by broadcasters and advertisers on the production and distribution of programme and commercial content. BARB provides an independent, joint-industry currency that is trusted to assess the return on this investment.
Dealing with audience fragmentation has been a constant aspect of BARB’s work since our formation in 1981. Fragmentation today is driven by the rise of programmes and commercials being delivered online and on-demand.
We constantly develop our measurement techniques to meet the needs of the industry with high-quality data. In recent years we have developed techniques for tracking live and on-demand audiences across TV sets, tablets, PCs and smartphones. We have also pioneered the reporting of dynamically inserted advertising.
The Viewing Report 2018 brings to life the latest insights from BARB. We hope you enjoy reading it.
- What will video measurement look like in 2022? – Ed Shedd
- Getting ‘extra’ over BARB – Neil Mortensen
- Tracking non-linear viewing
- Bring on the box sets
- Top on-demand and live programmes 2017 – TV Player Report
- Online TV viewing: On-demand v live streaming
- Online TV viewing: PC, tablet or smartphone?
- Online TV viewing: Who is doing the viewing?
- SVOD nation