Objective information is critical for the UK’s television and advertising industry. Each year, £7.5 billion is spent by broadcasters and advertisers on the production and distribution of programme and commercial content. BARB provides a currency that is trusted to assess the return on this investment.
BARB can do this because we are owned by the UK television and advertising industry. We deliver a Joint Industry Currency, which is rightly known as the gold standard.
BARB has been the official source of television figures in the UK since 1981. We constantly develop our measurement techniques in order to deal with fragmentation. We do so with rigour and vigilance, so that our data continue to meet the quality levels expected of BARB.
The Viewing Report 2017 brings to life the latest insights from BARB. We hope you enjoy reading it.
- Reliable signals in a post-truth world – Rory Sutherland
- Are we counting what matters? – Dino Myers-Lamptey
- A broadcaster’s survival guide – Sarah Rose
- Online TV: What we know
- Top online TV programmes 2016 – TV Player Report
- The swinging sixties – Channel repertoire
- Glued to the goggle box – TV screen time
- British summer timeshift
- Make cake not war – Share by genre
- Portfolio planning – Share by broadcaster