An interactive version of this chart is available here.
This tracker focuses on the platforms viewers use to watch linear TV.The platform categories used are as follows.
- Cable: households that claim to receive cable; these households are almost entirely Virgin Media customers.
- Freesat: homes which have access to Freesat, either through a set top box or integrated into the TV set. This does not include former Sky homes who do not have a live subscription but continue to use their Sky set top box to watch free satellite channels.
- Other satellite: this category includes former Sky subscribers as well as viewers watching smaller, typically international, satellite service providers like Polsat.
- Sky subscription: homes who pay for a Sky subscription package (not including Now TV customers who don’t pay for a Sky subscription package).
- Terrestrial: all homes which have access to digital terrestrial TV via their aerials. This includes any homes across all categories which also have access to terrestrial.
- Terrestrial only: the subset of terrestrial households that do not have access to either cable or satellite reception. This includes most BT TV, TalkTalk TV and YouView homes.
- YouView: all households who have the BT, TalkTalk or YouView platforms. The great majority of these homes will be using the YouView interface, but the figure will include a small number of homes using older versions of BT TV and TalkTalk TV.